Changing Your Spouse or Partner’s Benefits 2019

Your spouse or domestic partner may become newly eligible to receive benefits through Tufts through a change of their employment, or you may decide to switch to their plan.

You may make changes to your Tufts benefits within 31 days after your spouse or domestic partner's benefits change. If you do not request a change within 31 days, you will have to wait until the next annual open enrollment period (usually October or November) to make changes to your benefit plans.

Relevant Forms

Health, Dental, and Vision Plans

If your spouse or domestic partner has lost a job, you may add them as well as any eligible dependents to your health, dental, and vision benefit plans.

If you choose to be covered by your spouse or domestic partner’s benefit programs, you may end your Tufts benefit plans.

The effective date for your change in coverage through Tufts will be the date TSS receives your form and proof of coverage change.

Dependent Spouse Life Insurance

If you are adding your spouse or domestic partner to your benefit plans, you may also want to enroll them in Dependent Life Insurance. You may add life insurance coverage for your spouse or domestic partner in the amount of $25,000 or $50,000. To do so, complete the Evidence of Insurability form (PDF) and send it directly to Prudential Life Insurance Company. Prudential will contact you if they need any additional information. They must approve your application before the new coverage is effective.

If you wish to decrease or waive Dependent Spouse Life Insurance, you may make changes on your Qualified Status Change Form.

Please note: Your spouse or domestic partner’s insurance amount cannot be more than 100% of your combined basic and supplemental life insurance coverage amounts.

Dependent Child Life Insurance

You may choose coverage for eligible dependent children up to age 26 in the amount of $10,000. The new coverage is effective on the date of your coverage change or the date your Qualified Status Change Form (PDF) is received, whichever is later. You do not need to complete an Evidence of Insurability Form (PDF) to add life insurance coverage for your children.

Life Insurance

This is also a good time for you to review your life insurance beneficiary information. You can review this information on eServe under “Benefits.” Open the link for “Dependents and Beneficiaries” and choose “Insurance Beneficiary Summary.”

Please note: You can make beneficiary changes online through eServe or request a change by contacting TSS.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

If you have lost coverage under your spouse or domestic partner’s plan, you may make changes to or enroll in Tufts’ Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs).

If you are ending your health coverage through Tufts in order to enroll in your spouse’s health plan, you may also terminate your FSAs. Please make any changes to your FSAs on your Qualified Status Change Form.

Retirement Savings Plans

You may also want to review your beneficiary information for your retirement savings plan.

Please contact the company that administers your Tufts retirement plans directly to make changes to your beneficiary information.

  • TIAA Customer Service: 1-800-842-2776
  • Fidelity Customer Service: 1-800-343-0860