Check Voucher Process
What is a Check Voucher?
A check voucher can be used to process certain types of payments through Accounts Payable.
When can I use Check Voucher Payments?
Check Vouchers are restricted to the below-listed payment types. Please note that these are IRS terms and may differ from the terminology used in your department. Please consult the Check Voucher Guide or decision tool to determine whether your payment qualifies as a check voucher payment and which type to use.
- Patient Refunds
- Study Participants
- Payments to Department of Homeland Security for Visa Applications
- Student & Non-Employee Travel & Business Expense
Want to be a Check Voucher Submitter? Here's what you need to do:
- Complete the Application for the Tufts Marketplace, EREQ and Check Voucher, send TSS@tufts.edu AND
- Enroll in a training session: Training Opportunities for Electronic Check Voucher
Already a Check Voucher Submitter? Check out these helpful tools:
- Check Voucher Guide and Payment Matrix: This will help you understand which type of check voucher to use for your transaction; or whether your transaction needs to be handled outside of the check voucher system
- Need to pay a Non-resident/visa holder: Please review the visa chart to see which types of payments can be made to non-residents (please download for best visibility)
- You may also consult the dynamic decision tool to help you decide which type of check voucher to use, or whether another payment mechanism needs to be used
How to use Check Vouchers
Go to sites.tufts.edu/portal2/, sign in and navigate to “Check Vouchers” to Create or Inquire on an existing Check Voucher.
The Payee must be an established Supplier in order for a Check Voucher or Student/Non-Employee Expense report to be processed.
All the Department needs to do is submit the Electronic Check Voucher in Peoplesoft to TSS with the Payee Name and Email Address and if the Supplier is not yet established, TSS will follow through. For Student/Guest Travel & Expense Reports, if the Payee is in PeopleSoft but has not completed the full PaymentWorks registration (even if they have completed the short form for reimbursement) they will be invited each time an Expense Report is submitted (if the individual is going to receive multiple reimbursements or future taxable payments, it would be best to request the full Registration form be completed instead of the short form).
Required Documentation to be Attached
|Check Voucher Type||Required Documentation|
|Awards, Prizes, Fellowships & Scholarships||Letter to the student outlining the details, including the amount|
|Honorarium||Invitation or acceptance letter, syllabus, or advertisement of visitor|
|Study Participant||Listed study name or IRB number with other documentation maintained in the department.|
|Patient Refund||Copy of the account ledger.|
|Student & Non-Employee Travel & Expense||Receipts must be attached
Approval Levels & Routing
Once an authorized submitter clicks Save & Submit for Approval, the check voucher will automatically route through the following approval chain:
- Budget Center or Post Award required at $5,000 or more
- EAD, VP or Designee required at $50,000
- EVP required at $1,000,000
- Ad-hoc approvers are able to be added to any workflow