Contracts & Agreements
The Purchasing Office is responsible for reviewing, negotiating and entering into contracts for goods and services on behalf of the University.
- As the university community considers purchases that may require a signed contract or include alternate terms and conditions, they are encouraged to contact a member of the Purchasing Office for guidance.
- Our office will assist in the navigation of the University's contracting requirements and in negotiating specific contract terms as required. In doing so we guide you through the process, ensure that the contract terms and pricing are fair and that all signature requirements are met.
- Our office will also advise when a contract or certain provisions require further review or approval by other University departments and work collaboratively to reach an advantageous result i.e. - Risk Management and Insurance Office, the Office of the General Counsel and other.
Contracting with a Supplier
- The Purchasing Office provides a standard contract for purchases under $5,000 and works with our customers to develop and negotiate contract terms for larger purchases.
- If there is a consideration to purchase goods or services that will require a signed agreement (or requests acceptance of supplier terms and conditions), please contact a member of the Purchasing Office as soon as possible.
Signing Contracts & Agreements
- The University maintains a signatory authority policy and a list of individuals who are authorized to sign contracts and agreements.
- No other faculty, staff, or students are authorized to enter into contracts or financial commitments on behalf of the University.
- Anyone who enters into an unauthorized contract or agreement may incur personal liability and be subject to disciplinary action.
- If there is a consideration to enter into an agreement for the purchase of goods or services, please contact the Purchasing Office so we may assist you in review process and in obtaining the appropriate approvals.
- A Blanket Order (also known as a Standing Purchase Order) is a term contract or basic agreement between the University and a supplier.
- Blanket Orders ares issued to a specific supplier to address recurring small purchases for a specific period of time.
- Please refer to the Tufts Purchasing Manual to learn more about blanket orders.
Get Help with Purchasing
The Purchasing team’s expertise can save you time and money while recognizing and mitigating associated risk factors.