The Procurement Team dedicated to Operations are responsible for procuring all construction-related, facilities-related and dining-related goods and services for all Tufts campuses. A unit of the Finance Division and co-located within the Facilities Services Building at 520 Boston Avenue, Medford, MA.
We are committed to ensuring that goods and services are procured at the maximum value, in accordance with industry standard best practices, and in compliance with policies set forth by the University, sponsoring agencies, the IRS, and the Massachusetts State Board.
Our Areas of Responsibility
Our Specific Roles
- RFP Process Management
- Negotiating best-value contracts by leveraging the university's total purchasing power
- Sourcing and qualification of capable suppliers
- Review and authorization of supplier contracts
- Evaluation of supplier performance
Supplier Qualification Process (Facilities and Construction Related Service Vendors only)
Tufts University has established a pool of suppliers to provide a vast array of category services on our three campuses. The University then draws on this pre-approved pool under a Master Services Agreement, to perform quality work at competitive costs. The determining factors for being chosen will be need, expertise, recognized value of the proposal received from a given request, and demonstrated ability to provide services that reflect our basic principles for capital projects.
- This ready resource of pre-qualified suppliers include members that represent skills and experience frequently needed by the University in a multitude of categories.
- This selection includes those who can successfully meet Tufts needs and provides a means of getting urgent needs met in a timely fashion, without the added time and effort of negotiating rates and terms and conditions for each project or scope of work.
- Pre-qualified Supplier Pool Members under MSA are in full agreement with the Tufts terms and conditions noted in the contract and are at a minimum held to their proposed rates when pricing jobs/projects outside of the bid process - but still have the ability to bid below the MSA rates in a competitive situation.
- Tufts Procurement and Capital Projects staff will periodically review the list of diverse suppliers against others in their area of expertise, revising as necessary.
- Suppliers interested in working with Tufts University may learn more by contacting one of the individuals below.
Bill Thistle Purchasing Director 617-627-5660
Paul Wagner Sr. Strategic Sourcing Manager 617-627-3716
Michelle Rooney Sr. Strategic Sourcing Specialist 617-627-3140
Luke Duffney Strategic Sourcing Specialist 617-627-4555
Gary Smyrlian Strategic Sourcing Specialist 617-627-3596