Whether you take the train, bus, subway, vanpool, or park at the train station, Tufts’ Commuter Benefit Program allows you to set aside funds on a pre-tax and post-tax basis for transit and parking expenses.
Commuter Benefit Program
To participate in the Commuter Benefits Program, you must be a benefits-eligible employee; once you enroll in this benefit you will receive an EBPA debit-card which you can then use to pay for certain commuting costs through pre-tax payroll deductions. This benefit is sponsored by the university and administered by EBPA.
Once enrolled, you can use your commuter benefit in one of two ways. You can use the debit card to cover the cost of eligible transit passes and parking expenses. Or you can purchase a transit pass or pay for parking directly and file for reimbursement through EBPA.
If you work on any Tufts campus in Massachusetts, you are eligible to receive a transit subsidy as an incentive to use public transportation. The 2018 subsidy is 35%, up to a maximum of $40 per employee per month. The subsidy is reflected in your payroll deduction and applied to the pre-tax amount of your commuter transit election.
How to Enroll
Enroll on the EBPA website by the 4th of the month for commuter benefits for the following month.
- Select the sign-in button under Member Access.
- Enter “Tufts University” as the employer and submit.
- Select “Enroll or Change Your Monthly Parking and Transit Election”
- Complete the Election/Change form agreement
- A confirmation will be sent to the email address you provide
Enrollments will be recurring on a month-to-month basis until you make a change or cancel your election on the EBPA website.
If your hire date (or newly benefit eligible date) is after the 20th of the month, your ability to enroll by the next 4th of the month will be contingent on the completion of new hire processing.
Pre-Tax Monthly Limits
The Internal Revenue Service pre-tax limits for 2018 are as follows:
- Parking: $260 per month
- Transit/Vanpool: $260 per month
For More Information
On How to Enroll in and Use the Commuter Benefit:
1-800-258-7298 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. EST)
On Public Transportation Maps, Schedules and Fares:
Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)
617-222-3200 (Monday- Friday: 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.)
Transportation benefits, rewards, and ride matching for Tufts faculty and staff on the Medford/Somerville and Grafton campuses.
Use MassRides to:
- Find carpool partners from Tufts
- Find or start a vanpool
- Sign up for the Emergency Ride Home service
- Get rewards (including discounts and coupons) for taking alternate forms of travel
Learn more on the MassRides website.
A Better City Transportation Management Association (ABC TMA)
ABC TMA is a transportation benefit for Tufts faculty and staff on the Boston campuses. This service lets you:
- Find carpool partners from Tufts University
- Sign up for the Guaranteed Ride Home program
- Get rewards for walking or biking to work
- Get carpool and vanpool subsidies
- Get up to three free months of transit on an MBTA express bus, commuter boat, or private bus carrier (for employees who currently drive alone to work)
Tufts students, faculty, and eligible staff can sign up for Zipcar discounted membership fees and rates for cars to drive by the hour or the day.
Learn more on the Tufts Public Safety website.