If there is a death in your family, you or your family should contact Tufts Support Services (TSS) by email or at 617-627-7000 as soon as possible. If applicable, TSS can help guide you or your family through the process of making sure the surviving members of your family have insurance coverage.
Action Items and Relevant Forms
- Before you can make any changes to your benefit plans, you will need to submit a Qualified Status Change Form and an original death certificate within 31 days of the death.
- Send this information to Tufts Support Services, 62R Talbot Street, Medford, MA 02155.
Health, Dental, and Vision Plans
When an employee dies, their coverage in university health, dental or vision plans will end as of the date of their death. However, your eligible dependents who are covered under your health, dental, and vision plans will be offered COBRA for a period of 36 months. Tufts has a third-party administrator, EBPA, that will contact your family with details.
If you have life insurance through Tufts, your beneficiary will receive a beneficiary life insurance claim form from Human Resources with instructions of where to send it. Once we receive the completed form and an original copy of the death certificate, we will file a life insurance claim on your beneficiary's behalf with our vendor, Prudential.
- You can find your current status on eServe.
- TSS provides detailed information on adding, changing or removing a beneficiary for basic life, supplemental life, or accidental death and dismemberment.
Dependent Life Insurance
If you have dependent life insurance, Human Resources will send you a life insurance claim form. Once we receive the completed form and a death certificate, we will file a life insurance claim on your behalf with our vendor, Prudential.
If you enrolled in a flexible spending account (FSA), your survivors may submit claims for up to 120 days following your death for any expense incurred in the calendar year prior to your death. Your family can elect to continue your FSA benefits through COBRA for the remainder of the calendar year.
If a family member dies, you may make changes to your FSA election for the current calendar year within 31 days of the death. If you need to make a change, please contact Tufts Support Services (TSS) by email or at 617-627-7000.
If you need to review or change your beneficiary information for your Tufts University-Funded Retirement Plan or the Self-Funded Retirement Plan, you will need to call the company that administers your plan(s) directly.
- Fidelity Customer Service: 1-800-343-0860
- TIAA Customer Service: 1-800-842-2776