If there is a death in your family, you or your family should contact Tufts Support Services (TSS) by email or at 617-627-7000 as soon as possible. TSS will help guide you through the process of making sure the surviving members of your family have insurance coverage.
Action Items and Relevant Forms
- Before you can make any changes to your benefit plans, you will need to submit a Qualified Status Change Form and an original death certificate within 31 days of the death.
- Send this information to Tufts Support Services, 62R Talbot Street, Medford, MA 02155.
Health, Dental, and Vision Plans
When an employee dies, their coverage in Tufts’ health, dental or vision plans, will end as of the date of his or her death.
In the event of your death, your eligible dependents who are covered under your health plan will be offered COBRA for a period of 36 months. Tufts has a third-party administrator, EBPA, that will contact your family and help with the sign-up process.
In the event of your death, your family should contact Tufts Support Services (TSS) by email or at 617-627-7000 and TSS will notify Human Resources. Your family will receive a beneficiary life insurance claim form from Human Resources with instructions of where to send it. Once we receive the completed form and an original copy of the death certificate, we will file a life insurance claim on your family’s behalf with Prudential.
Dependent Life Insurance
If your covered family member dies, his or her dependent life insurance coverage will end on the date of death.
- Human Resources will send you a beneficiary life insurance claim form. Once we receive the completed form and a death certificate, we will file a life insurance claim on your behalf with Prudential.
- You can review life insurance beneficiary information on Tufts Support Services (TSS) under “Benefits.” Then click the link for “Dependents and Beneficiaries” and choose “Insurance Beneficiary Summary.”
Flexible Spending Accounts
You or your survivors may continue to submit claims for expenses during the calendar year in which the death occurs.
If you need to review or change your beneficiary information for your Tufts University-Funded Retirement Plan or the Self-Funded Retirement Plan, you will need to call the company that provides your plan directly.
- Fidelity Customer Service: 1-800-343-0860
- TIAA Customer Service: 1-800-842-2776