When you add a child to your family by birth or adoption, you have 31 days to notify Tufts Support Services (TSS) of your new addition. Your child’s benefits start as of the date of his or her birth or adoption.
Health, Dental, and Vision Plans
You may add your new child to your health, dental, or vision plans as of the date of his or her birth or adoption. At this time, you may also add coverage for any other dependent (spouse/qualified domestic partner or child) who is eligible for benefits but not already enrolled.
- Within 31 days of your child’s arrival, complete a Qualified Status Change Form and email it to TSS. Make sure to include proof of the birth or adoption such as a birth certificate or court document.
- If you do not request a change within the time frame noted above, the next time you will have an opportunity to make changes to your enrollment will be the next annual open enrollment period (usually in October or November). If you have questions, call TSS at 617-627-7000.
Supplemental Life Insurance
This life event allows you to increase your supplemental life insurance. If you are not already enrolled in supplemental life insurance, you may choose to enroll at this time.
- To enroll or add more coverage, complete the Short Form Health Statement and submit it directly to Prudential. You can also choose to waive or decrease your coverage by making this change on your Qualified Status Change Form.
- If you want to enroll your child for Dependent Life insurance, you can enroll him or her by completing that section of the Qualified Status Change Form.
Life Insurance Beneficiary
This a good time to review your life insurance beneficiary information. TSS provides detailed information on adding, changing or removing a beneficiary for basic life, supplemental life, or accidental death and dismemberment.
Spouse/Qualified Domestic Partner Life Insurance
When adding your child due to this life event, you may also enroll your spouse or qualified domestic partner in dependent life insurance.
- To request coverage, submit a Short Form Health Statement form to Prudential and also choose this coverage on your Qualified Status Change Form.
- Please note that your spouse/qualified domestic partner’s insurance cannot total more than 100% of your combined basic and supplemental life insurance coverage.
Flexible Spending Accounts
Adding a child to your family allows you to enroll in or make changes to your Health Care or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs). Please make all changes to your FSAs on the Qualified Status Change Form. You request any changes by contacting TSS within 31 days of your child’s birth or adoption.