Whether you take the train, bus, subway, vanpool, or park at the train station, Tufts’ Commuter Benefit Program allows you to set aside funds on a pre-tax and post-tax basis for transit and parking expenses.
Commuter Benefit Program
To participate in this program, you must be a benefits-eligible employee. Once you enroll in the commuter benefit, you will receive an EBPA benefits debit card to pay for certain commuting costs through pre-tax payroll deductions. This benefit is sponsored by the university and administered by EBPA.
Once enrolled, you can use your commuter benefit in one of two ways. You can use the debit card to cover the cost of eligible transit passes and parking expenses. Or you can purchase a transit pass or pay for parking directly and file for reimbursement through EBPA.
- How to use your EBPA Benefits Card for parking and transit
- Frequently asked questions about the EBPA benefits debit card
- EBPA Commuter Reimbursement Form
If you work on any Tufts campus in Massachusetts, you are eligible to receive a transit subsidy as an incentive to use public transportation. The subsidy for the Boston and Fenway campuses covers 35% of the cost of public transportation, up to a maximum of $50 per employee per month. The subsidy for the Medford and Grafton campuses covers 35%, up to a $40 maximum per employee per month. The subsidy is reflected in your payroll deduction and applied to the pre-tax amount of your commuter transit election.
How to Enroll
Enroll on the EBPA website by the 4th of the month for commuter benefits for the following month.
- Select the sign-in button under Member Access.
- Enter Tufts University as the employer and submit.
- Select Enroll or Change Your Monthly Parking and Transit Election
- Complete the Election/Change form agreement
- A confirmation will be sent to the email address you provide
Enrollments will be recurring on a month-to-month basis until you make a change or cancel your election on the EBPA website. All changes must be made by the 4th of the month and will become effective on the 1st of the following month.
- Existing employees: All changes must be made by the 4th of the month and will become effective on the 1st of the following month.
- New employees: If your hire date (or newly benefit eligible date) is after the 20th of the month, your ability to enroll by the next 4th of the following month will be contingent on the completion of your new-hire processing.
Monthly Pre-Tax Limits
The Internal Revenue Service sets limits on pre-tax dollars for commuting expenses. If your commuting expenses exceed the IRS limit, you can use pre-tax dollars up to the designated amount and pay for the rest with taxed income.
The 2019 pre-tax limits are:
- Parking: $265 per month
- Transit/Vanpool: $265 per month
Get the EBPA Mobile App
For More Information
How to enroll in and use the commuter benefit:
1-800-258-7298 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST)
For public transportation maps, schedules and fares:
Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)
617-222-3200 (Monday- Friday: 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
Transportation benefits, rewards, and ride matching for Tufts faculty and staff on the Medford/Somerville and Grafton campuses.
Use MassRides to:
- Find carpool partners from Tufts
- Find or start a vanpool
- Sign up for the Emergency Ride Home service
- Get rewards (including discounts and coupons) for taking alternate forms of travel
Learn more on the MassRides website.
A Better City Transportation Management Association (ABC TMA)
ABC TMA is a transportation benefit for Tufts faculty and staff on the Boston campuses. This service lets you:
- Find carpool partners from Tufts University
- Sign up for the Guaranteed Ride Home program
- Get rewards for walking or biking to work
- Get carpool and vanpool subsidies
- Get up to three free months of transit on an MBTA express bus, commuter boat, or private bus carrier (for employees who currently drive alone to work)
Tufts students, faculty, and eligible staff can sign up for Zipcar discounted membership fees and rates for cars to drive by the hour or the day.
Learn more on the Tufts Public Safety website.