The university's Employee Tuition Reimbursement Program enables full-time staff to maintain or improve the skills they need to perform their jobs. The program covers tuition for courses or programs at accredited institutions other than Tufts University and must be related to your current job.
If you wish to take a course at Tufts, read about our Tuition Remission program.
Relevant Forms and Guidelines
Who Is Eligible?
To be eligible for the program you must:
- Be actively employed as a full-time benefits-eligible staff employee
- Have completed one year of full-time service before the course begins
What Is Covered?
If you are eligible, the university will reimburse 100% of approved tuition costs up to a maximum of $4,000 in a fiscal year (July 1 to June 30) for qualifying, job-related courses. The following are examples of courses or programs that qualify:
- Regular courses taken for credit at accredited schools, colleges or universities
- Courses credited toward a high school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Correspondence, university extension, or continuing education courses
- Courses at certain non-accredited institutions provided they are widely recognized in their field and grant degrees or certifications indicating satisfactory completion
- Review courses and examinations for initial trade or professional license or certifications
- Job-related degree programs
Please note: A course or degree program that helps to prepare you for a future job at Tufts or elsewhere will not qualify for tuition reimbursement.
How to Apply
To apply, complete a Tuition Reimbursement Application and send it to Tufts Support Services (TSS). The application must be received 15 days before you enroll in the course or make a financial commitment.
You must have the following three items for your application to be considered complete:
- A completed Tuition Reimbursement Application (with your supervisor's signature).
- An official course description (found in the institution's brochure/catalog).
- A document that details tuition expenses and associated course costs.
How to Get Reimbursed
Once you have completed the course, complete a Request for Payment Form and submit it to Tufts Support Services (TSS) within 60 days with the following information:
- A copy of official proof from the institution that you have passed the course.
- A receipt proving you paid for the course. Only tuition fees are reimbursable.
In most cases, you will be reimbursed in the next payroll after your Request for Payment has been received.
For more detailed information, please see the Tuition Reimbursement Plan Guidelines.