Hiring Postdoctoral Scholars
Human Resources is not involved in the hiring of Postdoctoral Scholars, Postdocs, like they are for staff; the hiring process is managed by the department seeking a Postdoc.
Job Posting and Interviews
- Prepare a job description.
- Share the job description with colleagues.
- Post the job description on the Office of Vice Provost for Research website (email job description to email@example.com) and on job boards of relevant professional organizations.
- Interview candidates and select finalist.
Making an Offer
- If the candidate is international, contact Tufts International Center to start the visa process.
- Determine salary and extend verbal offer.
- Minimum pay rate must be based on the National Institutes of Health (NIH)-National Research Service Award (NRSA) pay rates for Postdocs with 0 years of experience.
- NIH NRSA minimum pay rates for all years of experience should be followed where possible for Postdocs engaged in biomedical research.
- Prepare an offer letter using the standard temple (email firstname.lastname@example.org for the latest template).
- Send the offer letter to the candidate.
- Prepare a New Hire PAF and submit to Tufts Support Services via email@example.com two weeks before the Postdoc’s start date.
- Postdoc will be prompted by TSS to complete new hire paperwork.
- Postdoc will be contacted by Human Resources to schedule New Employee Orientation.
- Postdoc attends New Employee Orientation and enrolls in benefits.
- Postdoc completes I-9 verification with TSS within 3 business days of start date.