International Travel: While You're Traveling

If you have registered your travel with the Tufts Travel Registry, the University will be in the best position to assist you.

Illness abroad

Your travel registration comes with free travel medical insurance. If you feel sick and need medical attention, call International SOS at 215-942-8478. You will speak to their team of nurses to further assess your condition. ISOS will then make an appointment for you at a vetted provider and will cover any payment. Additionally, the cost of any prescribed medications is also covered.

Medical emergencies while abroad

If you experience an emergency, it is important that your in-country contacts know to call International SOS as soon as possible. ISOS can coordinate medical care with your doctors and can facilitate for transport to a more suitable facility or back to the U.S., if necessary.

Contact ISOS or use the ISOS portal to check whether you can access reliable local emergency services in-country. ISOS can provide availability information and phone numbers for emergency services.

Security threats & updates

  • If you are registered, you will receive alerts about potential security threats and, if applicable, deteriorating security conditions abroad. Additionally, you will receive alerts if significant events have occurred near you.
  • Tufts receives notification if a traveler is in an affected area and will attempt to contact you. If contacted, please respond as soon as possible. The University will account for all Tufts affiliates in the affected area and help determine the best course of action to ensure your safety.
  • If you need immediate help on the ground, call ISOS as soon as possible (ISOS will inform Tufts) as they are in the best position to coordinate help in-country. 

If you’re the victim of a crime

  • Contact ISOS immediately for advice on next steps. Additionally, if you are a U.S. citizen, you can call the embassy (or the on-call duty officer) for advice as well. It is important to remember that police corruption is a reality in some countries and contacting local authorities first may not be the best course of action. 
  • If you are a victim of sexual assault, you should also be aware that resources and procedures differ significantly from country to country. Please contact ISOS as soon as possible and report what has happened to you. ISOS can help you take appropriate steps and identify resources available in-country. 

If you’ve lost your passport

You will need to go to the nearest U.S. embassy to get a replacement passport. If you do not know how to get to the nearest embassy, call ISOS for advice. They can also arrange for transportation (at your own expense). 

You’ll need to provide the following documentation:

  • A Passport Photo: bring an extra set with you when traveling
  • Identification: driver's license, expired passport, etc.; printable from the Tufts Travel Registry if you’ve registered
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship: birth certificate, photocopy of your missing passport, etc.; printable from the Tufts Travel Registry if you’ve registered
  • Travel Itinerary: airline/train tickets
  • Police Report, if applicable
  • DS-11 Application for Passport, which may be completed at the time of application
  • DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport, which may be completed at the time of application
Get Help While Traveling: ISOS
Contact International SOS for 24/7 emergency assistance.