Marriage and Changes to Benefits 2019

Normally you have to wait until open enrollment to change your benefits, but some life events, like getting married, give you the opportunity to change your benefits in the middle of the year.

If you are getting married, you need to submit certain documentation within 31 days of your marriage to change your benefits. If you do not, you will have to wait until the next annual open enrollment period (usually October/November) to make changes.

Relevant Forms

Health, Dental, and Vision Plans

After getting married, you can add your spouse and any eligible dependent children. You can drop coverage if you decide to enroll in your spouse’s plans. You can even choose to enroll in one or all of these plans for the first time.

Supplemental Life Insurance

You can enroll or increase your supplemental life insurance within 31 days of your marriage. You must complete the Evidence of Insurability (PDF) form and submit it directly to Prudential to request new or additional coverage.

Getting married is also a good time to review your life insurance beneficiary information. You can review this information on eServe under “Benefits.” Then click the link for “Dependents and Beneficiaries” and choose “Insurance Beneficiary Summary.”

If you need help making beneficiary changes, contact TSS.

Dependent Spouse Life Insurance

You may add life insurance coverage for your spouse or domestic partner in the amount of $25,000 or $50,000. To do so, complete the Evidence of Insurability Form (PDF) and send it directly to Prudential Life Insurance Company. Prudential will contact you if they need any additional information. They must approve your application before the new coverage is effective.

Please note: Your spouse or domestic partner’s insurance amount cannot be more than 100% of your combined basic and supplemental life insurance coverage amounts.

Dependent Child Life Insurance

You may choose coverage for eligible dependent children up to age 26 in the amount of $10,000. You have 31 days from your marriage date to request this change. The coverage is effective on the date of your marriage or the date your Qualified Status Change Form is received, whichever is later. You do not need to complete an Evidence of Insurability Form (PDF) to add coverage for your children.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

You may choose to participate in the Health Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or increase or decrease your current contributions.

If you have new dependents under age 13 as a result of your marriage, you may also participate in the Dependent Care FSA or increase or decrease your current contributions.

You have 31 days from your marriage date to request the change to your FSAs on the Qualified Status Change Form (PDF).

Retirement Savings Plans

Getting married is a good time to review your beneficiary information for the 401(a) Basic Retirement Plan and the 403(b) Voluntary Retirement Plan, if you are enrolled.

Please contact the company that administers your Tufts University-sponsored retirement plan directly to make changes to your beneficiary information.

  • TIAA Customer Service: 1-800-842-2776
  • Fidelity Customer Service: 1-800-343-0860