Welcome to the Move-Out Donations Page!
A HUGE thank you to everyone who participated in our Move-Out donations program! Our dedicated students reduced landfill waste by 12% compared to last year's move-out. Donations have concluded for the year, but we will be back in May of 2024. (updated 5.23.23)
Donating for Reuse and diverting from landfills helps reduce pollution and improve access & equity.
Between finals, saying goodbye to friends, and figuring out summer plans, packing might not be the first thing on your priority list. At Tufts, Move Out is designed to make it easy and simple for you to reduce the amount you throw away. Move Out Waste Stations are available across campus during move-out to donate and recycle unwanted items instead of sending it all to the landfill. All usable goods are provided to students who need them at our fall Back to School Sale.
2023 Donation & Recycling Station Locations:
Stations will open starting May 5th and are open 24/7 for drop off.
If you would like assistance sorting donations and recyclables, our stations will be staffed by move-out workers between 11am – 3pm each day.
Stations that open on May 5th:
- Houston Hall
- Hill Hall
- Lewis Hall
- Harleston Hall
On Monday, May 15th, an additional donation station will be placed outside of Sophia Gordon Hall to accommodate seniors.
Bring your items to any of the above stations before May 22nd! The Hill Hall & Sophia Gordon stations are next to the parking areas.
If you can’t bring your items to one of our stations, check out your municipality website for information on how to donate clothes and other items!
Somerville Recycling | Somerville Textiles Vendor – Simple Recycling | Limited to two items per week curbside with the regular trash. Place your bulk waste out by 7 a.m. on your scheduled collection day.
Remember, textiles and mattresses are banned from the landfill, so it is illegal to put them in your trash bin! If you have any questions about how to properly donate items, please reach out via firstname.lastname@example.org
Accepted Donation Items
- Clothing, sheets, shoes, & pillows (must be bagged in plastic bags!)
- Household items: storage containers, dorm decor, fans, vacuums, large and small lamps, mirrors, waste bins, laundry baskets
- Dining hall dishes
- Books and school supplies
- Crutches and exercise/sports equipment
- Unopened, non-perishable food
- Cleaning supplies: laundry detergent, brooms and sweepers
- Toiletries: Unopened bottles, feminine hygiene products
- Kitchen cookware, working kitchen appliances
- Working electronics
- Media items (DVDs, VHS, CDs, vinyl records, Blu-Ray, etc.)
We will have additional collection bins at the stations to recycle the following:
- Plastic film, including grocery bags, air pillows, bubble wrap, and produce bags
- Broken small electronics
We DO NOT accept:
- Hazardous items (for more information about battery and lightbulb recycling at Tufts, visit our specialty recycling webpage)
Recycling and Waste
To increase the efficiency and equitability of Tufts’ Move Out process, bring your recycling and trash to an outside dumpster. This will ease the roles of our hardworking custodial and Facilities staff.
Recycling dumpsters have blue lids. View up-to-date locations of campus recycling dumpsters on our Eco-Map.
Trash dumpsters have black lids. View up-to-date locations of campus trash dumpsters on our Eco-Map.
View our website for more information about how to properly dispose of your waste at Tufts.