Effective July 1, the new hire orientation process will be revamped to include 2FA!
Placing a high value on security, Tufts will require two-factor authentication (2FA) for all faculty, staff, and affiliates (including student and temp workers). The 2FA policy is available at: https://it.tufts.edu/2fapol and the highlights include:
- Effective July 1, 2017: ALL new hires (including faculty, staff, affiliates) will be required to enroll in 2FA during the on-boarding process
- Effective September 30, 2017: ALL current faculty, staff and affiliates will be required to enroll in 2FA
To facilitate the rollout, 2FA enrollment has been folded into the new hire process, a collaborative effort with Human Resources (HR), Tufts Technology Services (TTS), and Tufts Support Services (TSS).
The New Hire Process
As part of the new hire process, a new hire receives a welcome email from Tufts Support Services (TSS), which includes HR and TTS-related instructions . The email has been revised to include step-by-step instructions, including 2FA enrollment. (See more information about the 2FA service.)
Here is how the process will work.
- Welcome Email – new hire receives an email with information about account registration and e-Serve (employee self-service for their required I-9)
- Tufts Account Registration – every Tufts staff and faculty member uses the online registration form to begin the process to get a Tufts username.
- Password Reset – once a staff member completes the account registration, they receive a confirmation email for their Tufts username that will ask them to reset their password via TuftsTools.
- 2FA Enrollment – once the password is reset, they will receive a confirmation email which will prompt them to enroll in 2FA via it.tufts.edu/2fa.
- e-Serve/I-9 – once their account is setup and they have enrolled in 2FA, the new hire can then go to e-Serve (the employee self-service portal) to complete the online portion of their I-9 form. (NOTE: Part 2 of the I-9 form will need to be done in person either at their HR orientation session or at the TSS office.)
If you have any questions about the new hire process, please contact TSS by calling 617-627-7000 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about the 2FA service, please contact the Tufts Technology Services (TTS) 24/7 Service Desk at 617-627-3376 or email@example.com.