Ideally, you should begin preparing for retirement at least a full year before your retirement date, if not earlier. Here are some important things for you to do before the big day.
6 to 12 Months Before Your Retirement
- Download and review the printer-friendly Retiree Benefits Information Sheet.
- Determine Eligibility: you are eligible for the Tufts University Retiree Health Plan if you are age 60 or older with 5 years of eligible service, or if the sum of your age and eligible service equals 75. For questions, contact Tufts Support Services (TSS).
- Decide on your retirement date. If you are age 65 or over, since Medicare is effective the first day of a month, it is recommended that you choose a retirement date on the last day of a month.
- Contact Tufts Support Services (TSS) to request Retiree Health, Retiree Dental and other benefit eligibility planning information. Any questions you may have will be addressed through your TSS case.
- Schedule an appointment with Fidelity at 1-800-642-7131 or TIAA at 1-800-732-8353 to review your retirement savings.
- Contact Social Security to make sure you understand your Social Security income options.
4 to 6 months Before Your Retirement
- Assess your Retiree Health, Retiree Dental and other benefit plan options. Visit I'm Getting Ready to Retire for more information.
3 Months Before Your Retirement
- Notify your supervisor and submit a written resignation letter with your intended retirement date.
- Contact Tufts Support Services (TSS) with any questions regarding your Retiree Health, Dental or other benefit plan options at least three months before your last day.
- If age 65 and over at retirement:
- Employee and/or spouse age 65 and need to apply for Medicare Part A & B individually no sooner than 3 months prior to your retirement date
- If applying for both Medicare Part A and Part B, enrollment can be done either online at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/medicare, by appointment at a local Social Security office or by mail
- If you already have Medicare Part A you will need to complete and submit an "Application for Enrollment in Medicare Part B" (Form CMS 40B) to Social Security. Contact TSS to obtain a printed copy.
- If required by Social Security, contact Tufts Support Services (TSS)to provide you (and spouse if Age 65 and Over) with a completed “Request for Employment Information” (Form CMS L564) and an “Application for Enrollment in Medicare Part B” (Form CMS 40). Submit your request to TSS at least one week before you go to Social Security
- Contact Via Benefits to assess health plan options. Contact Via Benefits to start the process of creating a personal profile and counseling to select over age 65 health coverage. Via Benefits has been chosen by Tufts University as the resource to assist over age 65 retirees in finding and enrolling in new individual health and prescription drug coverage to replace current health coverage. Via Benefits operates a private Medicare insurance marketplace.
1 to 3 Months Before Your Retirement
- Check with supervisor to be sure they submit a corresponding personnel action in the eServe Workforce Portal.
- Elect your Retiree Health, Retiree Dental and other benefit plan options:
- Under Age 65: Submit Under Age 65 Retiree Health and Dental Enrollment Confirmation Form to TSS
- Age 65 and Over:
2 Weeks to 1 Month Before Your Retirement
- Meet with your supervisor to be sure your personnel has been submitted in the eServe Workforce Portal.
- Wrap up and "loose ends" and personally prepare for your retirement