Procurement Card Handy Reference Sheet
Procurement Cards are an integral part of the University procurement strategy and are ideally suited for many low dollar purchases. Procurement cards are assigned to individual employees and cannot be transferred to, assigned to, or used by anyone other than the designated employee. The card is to be used to purchase goods for business use only. (See Card Restrictions listed below). Use for personal purchases is strictly prohibited.
Fraudulent and/or misuse of the card is grounds for revoking Procurement Card privileges and may lead to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
When Making a Purchase
- Confirm that the purchase is appropriate for the Pcard by checking the list of restricted items.
- Confirm the total cost (including shipping and handling) will not exceed present transaction limits.
- Make sure you are obtaining the best possible price. Any cardholder can contact Purchasing to ask if there is preferred/contracted vendor to use.
- When making a purchase, state that you are from Tufts University and ensure that you obtain the proper educational discount. Many vendors will not give the educational discount if you do not ask for it.
- Tufts University is a non-profit organization and therefore tax exempt. The University's tax-exempt number is E-042-103-634. The number is embossed on the front of your pcard. If a vendor requires a hard copy of the tax-exempt form, there is one in the pcard manual that may be copied. You may also contact Purchasing for a copy.
- Record the name of the person taking the order in case subsequent problems/issues arise.
- Upon receipt of the item, retain copies of the charge slip, sales receipt, vendor statement, and/or packing slip. Receipts must be readily available for audit. Improper documentation may result in loss of the Pcard.
The Procurement Card cannot be used to purchase the following item:
- Airline Tickets
- Automotive Gasoline
- Capital Equipment (greater than $5000)
- Cash Advances
- Computer Systems, Laptops (allowed through Preferred Suppliers only)
- Construction and Renovations
- Consulting Services
- DEA Controlled Substances
- Firearms and Ammunition
- Furniture and Furniture Related Items (including sit/stand workstations)
- Gift Cards (allowed for Study Funds ONLY)
- Items intended for personal use
- Lab animals
- Meals in Restaurants
- Office Supplies (purchased with federal funds)
- Prescription Drugs/Controlled Substances
- Radioactive Materials
- Refrigerators (labs only)
- Transportation Related Expenses (limo, bus, trolley, etc)
- Travel Related Expenses (conference fees ARE allowable)
- Unallowable items per A21 guidelines
- Wireless Devices (allowed only if/when Communications Authorization Form is on file)
If your credit card is declined when making a purchase, the cardholder should contact the JP Morgan Customer Service at the phone number listed on the back of the Pcard. JP Morgan will notify the cardholder why the charge was declined and what to do to rectify the problem. Be advised: the Procurement Programs Administrator does not have access to bank information and cannot tell you why your card was declined.
Disputing a Transaction
If you receive a charge that is unfamiliar, you may dispute it by filing a Statement of Questioned Item form. The form may be downloaded from the intranet. A copy of the form should be faxed to JP Morgan at (847) 622-2495. Retain a copy for your records and forward a copy to the Pcard Programs Administrator. While the bank is investigating the charge a credit will appear on your account.
Lost or Stolen Card
The university is responsible for all charges placed on the card until such time that JP Morgan is notified. It is the cardholder's responsibility to contact JP Morgan immediately if a card is lost or stolen. The number to use is 1-800-622-2495 and it is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Ship To Information
- Make sure you provide the supplier with the appropriate ship to address for your department.
- Boston receiving hours are 8:00-12:00 Monday through Friday.
- Grafton receiving hours are 8:00-11:45 and 12:30-2:00 Monday through Friday.
- Boston Medical School Tufts University Receiving 37 Tyler Street Attn: MC-End User Name Dept. Name Boston, MA 02111
- Boston Dental School Tufts University Receiving One Kneeland Street Attn: MC-End User Name Dept. Name DHS-Room# Boston, MA 02111
- Boston All Other Locations Tufts University Dept. Name Street Address Building/Room # Attn: MC-End User Name Boston, MA 02111
- Medford Tufts University Dept. Name Street Address Building/Room # Attn: MC-End User Name Medford, MA 02155
- Grafton Tufts University Receiving 200 Westboro Road Attn: MC-End User Name Dept/Room North Grafton, MA 01536
Returns, Damaged Goods, Credits
Occasionally you will need to return an item purchased with the procurement card. In such cases you should work directly with the supplier. Here are some tips to facilitate that process:
- Until you are certain the item you received is what you want and in good working order retain all packaging, packing slips etc. Certain suppliers will not accept returns unless they are in the original packaging.
- Many suppliers require you to obtain a "Return Authorization Number" before they will accept a return. If you neglect to get this number, the package may be refused and/or no credit will be issued to your account.
- Sometimes there is a restocking fee for specialized items or large items. If the supplier is at fault you should not have to pay this fee or any other.
- Once an item is returned, make sure the charge does not show or there is a credit. If you are waiting for a credit and do not receive it within a few days you should dispute the transaction.
Who To Contact
- JP Morgan, Customer Service: Monday Through Friday 7:00a.m. To 7:00 p.m. Central Time: 1-800-316-6056
- Tufts Support Services, Card Administration, 62R Talbot Ave, Medford ext.77000
- Purchasing Office, TAB building, Medford ext 73225: Supplier info and contacts