Retiree Dental Plan
Tufts offers eligible retirees and their dependents the opportunity to purchase continued dental coverage through Delta Dental.
Who Is Eligible?
If you are eligible for Retiree Health, you and your eligible family members can continue your dental coverage through the Tufts Retiree Dental Plan (PDF). If enrolled, coverage will start on your retirement date. If you do not enroll within 31 days of your retirement, you forfeit the right for you and your dependents to receive dental coverage through the university’s plan in the future.
Dental Benefit Overview
The chart below provides as an overview of your dental benefits. All claims are subject to the provisions of the Subscriber Certificate (PDF). Please see the detailed Dental Plan Summary (PDF) for specific clinical requirements.
|If Services are provided at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine Clinic*||If Services are provided through a private practice Delta Dental Premier PPO Network Dentist|
|Type I Services: Preventive Care||100%
Up to 3 cleanings per calendar year
One cleaning every 6 months
(Total of 2 every 12 months)
|Type II Services: Basic Restorative||90%||80%|
|Type III Services : Major Restorative||80%||60%|
|Annual Deductible||Applies to Type III services only:
|Applies to Type II and Type III services only:
|Calendar Year Maximum||$1,500 per person||$1,500 per person|
|Orthodontics||Covered a 50%
Separate lifetime maximum of $1,000
|Covered a 50%
Separate lifetime maximum of $1,000
*The School of Dental Medicine clinics are teaching facilities with dentists-in-training who work with experienced dentists in the Delta Dental provider network. The clinic is located at One Kneeland Street in Boston.
Employee Discounts at the Tufts University School of Dental Medicine Clinics
- 20% discount off the cost of services provided at a Tufts University School of Dental Medicine Clinic for benefits-eligible faculty and staff. This discount is taken off the patient balance after insurance benefits have been applied. You do not have to be enrolled in the Delta Dental Plan to qualify. This discount does not apply to spouses, domestic partners or dependents who are not Tufts University employees.
- 20% discount off the cost of orthodontics services for dependent children (up to age 26) of benefits-eligible faculty and staff in the School of Dental Medicine Orthodontics Clinic. The discount is taken off the patient balance after insurance benefits have been applied. You do not have to be enrolled in the Delta Dental Plan to qualify.
Details of Your Dental Benefit
- A calendar year maximum benefit of $1,500 per person.
Cleanings and Other Preventive Services
- Preventive and diagnostic services at 100% including one cleaning every six months if you use a Delta Dental dentist.
- If you get services at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, you can have up to three cleanings per calendar year.
- Basic restorative (restorative care, oral surgery, periodontics, endodontics, prosthetic maintenance, and emergency dental care) at 80%, after a deductible of $50 per individual, $100 per two-person, or $150 per family, when you use a Delta Dental dentist.
- If you get your dental care at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, these services will be covered at 90% with no deductible.
- Major restorative (prosthodontics and major restorative) at 60%, after a deductible of $50 per individual plan, $100 per two-person, or $150 per family, when you use a Delta Dental dentist.
- If you get your dental care at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, these services will be covered at 80%, with the same deductibles as above.
- Regardless of which dentist you use, orthodontic services are covered at 50% for any age, with a separate lifetime maximum of $1,000.
- Accumulate part of your unused dental benefit dollars from a healthy year and use them for larger, more expensive procedures in the future. Learn more (PDF).
- If you need coverage for you and your dependents, you can choose two-person or family coverage.
- You will be billed for your dental coverage by EBPA Benefits.
- Retirees can use existing ID cards, as Delta Dental will not send new ID cards to retirees. Contact Delta Dental for additional ID cards.
- Members don't need a physical ID card to use benefits. Providers can confirm coverage by contacting Delta Dental.
Get the Delta Dental Mobile App
Download the Delta Dental mobile app to access a virtual ID card, search providers, view claims history and plan coverage.
For More Information
Tufts University School of Medicine Dental Clinics