This is restricted access content. Please don’t forget to logout if you are using public computer.

Scholarships, Fellowships, Awards & Stipends

A check voucher can be used to pay scholarships, fellowships and other awards. The check voucher can also be used to pay volunteer subjects stipend and royalties. Click here to read more about the check voucher or obtain a check voucher form and instructions.

If the recipient of a scholarship, fellowship, award, volunteer subject stipend or royalties has not already been paid by Tufts and entered into the Accounts Payable system, they must complete certain paperwork before payment can be issued. US citizens and Resident Aliens are required to complete a W-9 form. Non-Resident Aliens are required to complete a W-8 Ben and the Alien Payment Form. For more information about Alien Payments, please click here.

The majority of the scholarships awarded at Tufts are considered to be qualified under IRS regulations and processed via the Financial Aid Office. Qualified awards do not exceed stated tuition and fees amounts. Scholarships that exceed tuition and fees and/or support other expenses such as travel or room and board are non-qualified and therefore taxable to the recipient. Taxable scholarships and fellowships are paid through Accounts Payable and are reported and/or taxed according to government guidelines.

Tax Status and Paperwork for Non-Qualified Scholarships and Awards

Departments awarding non-qualified scholarships and fellowships should consider the following tax implications of the awards:

US Citizen and Resident Alien W-9
  • Taxable, but not reportable.
  • Tufts does not deduct taxes from payments and does not issue a 1099.
Non-Resident Alien W-8 BEN and Alien Payment Form
  • Reportable and taxable.
  • Tufts will withhold tax unless tax status is impacted by a tax treaty. Tax rate is 14% for “F” and “J” visa holders, 30% for others visas.
  • 1042-S will be issued to the recipient

To repeat; scholarships or fellowships that are used for purposes other than tuition and related fees are taxable. Recipients should consult a tax professional when preparing their IRS tax returns.

Provided by Finance