Tufts Data Service
TTS has established the Tufts Data Service to provide an expedited, streamlined process to get senior administrators the informational data they need.
Data Service FAQ
Who may use the Service?
This Service is available for all members of the Administrative Council. Over time, TTS will be developing a Data Service available to additional administrators and other staff and faculty.
Why should I use this Service?
Your request will go directly to a team that has the direct knowledge of how best to answer your questions. We can also track what similar requests are being made from different offices.
How do I use the Service?
- Review the Your Responsibilities section below
- Complete the request form
- Click Submit
How will I know when my request will be completed?
You will receive a confirmation that your request was submitted. A member of our team will then contact you to discuss what you need and when it will be provided.
What if I’m not sure what data I need to answer a question?
You can include the question in the request form and a member of our team will contact you to discuss how to best prepare a useful report to address your question.
Can I use the Service to have a report in Tableau or Business Objects prepared?
Yes. This Service includes preparing new reports, modifying existing reports, and providing access to existing reports. You can also request access to particular data sets, as needed.
Your Responsibilities for the Use of Institutional Data at Tufts
When you request institutional data through the Tufts Data Service, you assume several responsibilities to ensure the proper stewardship of the University’s information. These responsibilities include those summarized below.
Definition of Institutional Data (from the University’s Information Stewardship Policies)
All information that is created, discovered, collected, licensed, maintained, recorded, used, or managed by the University, its employees, and agents working on its behalf, regardless of ownership or origin.
Protecting the Confidentiality and Use of the Institutional Data
- All information provided through the Service must be held in trust and confidence.
- Limit requests to the confidential information required for the performance of your job responsibilities. You should only request the minimum necessary data needed for your work.
- You are required to responsibly manage the information. This includes safeguarding the information by using secure and careful handling practices and being responsible for any sharing of the information with others.
- Institutional data you receive may be disclosed within Tufts only when the persons receiving the data require it for the performance of their job responsibilities.
- The information provided may not be disclosed outside of Tufts without the explicit approval of an authorized person or as required by law.
- Institutional data may not be used for personal or commercial interest, gain, or self-enrichment.
Respecting the Privacy of Personal Information
- Whenever possible, structure your requests to exclude any individual’s identifiable personal information.
- You are required to protect any personal information from improper disclosure and use. These obligations include complying with the use, handling, disclosure, and other provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Massachusetts Data Privacy Laws and regulations, and other applicable laws and regulations.
Complying with all applicable laws and regulations, University policies, guidelines and standards, and applicable licenses and other contracts
- It is your responsibility to be aware of and comply with all laws and regulations, policies, guidelines, standards, licenses, and contracts that apply to the data.
- Tufts policies pertaining to institutional data include the Information Stewardship policies, the Business Conduct Policy, and other policies that may be found through AccessTufts. The TTS webpage Tufts Information Policies, Guidelines and Other Information includes additional policies, as well as guidelines for sensitive personal information and for working off-campus.
Responsibilities with respect to Tufts’ institutional data when leaving Tufts
- Tufts’ institutional data is owned by Tufts. If you leave Tufts, you may not retain any institutional data that is not classified as public data under Tufts’ Information Handling and Classification Policy, unless explicitly permitted by an authorized person.
- Your obligations with respect to Tufts’ institutional data continue after employment by Tufts ends.