Tufts Temps: Frequently Asked Questions
What is Tufts Temps?
Tufts Temps is a new service to help departments find temporary staff workers.
How will it benefit me as a hiring manager?
Tufts Temps is a “one-stop shopping” model where a hiring manager can request a temporary worker. Tufts Temps will then source through multiple vendors for the hiring manager and present several candidates from which the manager can choose. Additionally:
- There is on-site support with whom you can discuss your need.
- Tufts Temps uses Tufts University pay scales, pre-screening and background check processes approved by Tufts.
How does it work?
All information and links needed to understand the process and to request a temporary worker can be found via Access Tufts by searching for temporary workers. The steps are simple:
- To request a temporary worker, a short summary of the labor request must be completed via this requisition form, including estimated length of engagement.
- The request is automatically forwarded to Tufts Temps.
- The representative for Tufts Temps may reach out to you for additional information or clarification. That representative will forward resumes and pay rates of qualified candidates.
- The choice of candidate is yours. Once you have engaged a temporary worker, you will be asked to approve their time by logging into the Tufts Temps online system, Smart Track.
- The Tufts Temps representative will help direct the onboarding process.
- At the end of the engagement, Tufts Temps will manage the offboarding of the temporary worker.
What if I have trouble using Tufts Temps?
Tufts Temps will provide training on how to place requests for temporary workers and/or approve time worked. For more information or if you have any questions, please reach out to Tufts Temps at TuftsTemps@tufts.edu or 617-627-0721. We have also provided short videos and a user guide, available on the Tufts Learning Center site.
I already have a temporary worker who I want to come back. Do I need to go through Tufts Temps?
Check with your HR Business Partner for exceptions to the rule. Generally, all temporary workers should be hired through Tufts Temps. On the rare occasion that a hiring manager has a temporary worker who works routinely or seasonally, this worker may be hired outside of Tufts Temps. The department will directly hire this temporary worker and may use this ePAF worksheet (PDF) as a guide before entering the information online in ePAF. See ePAF/Time Entry Manual (PDF).
What if I am not satisfied with the temporary worker I choose?
Tufts Temps will work with you to end the engagement of the temporary worker, discreetly. You can choose to engage another temporary worker using the same protocols.