Winter Break Days
Amended date: 10/15/20
The University recognizes the need for work/life balance time with family and friends and as such provides generous paid time off options for all employees who meet benefit eligibility. Additionally, the University provides Winter Break days to align annually to the University’s established Holiday and Bonus days that occur at the end of each calendar year. Pay policies related to Winter Breaks is separate and distinct from other university paid time off and is outlined below.
Winter Break Pay
Regular, benefits-eligible employees receive pay for University Winter Break days without any waiting period.
- Exempt staff employees who are required to work on Winter Break days will be able to use the equivalent time in full-day increments during the balance the Fiscal year with supervisor approval. These days cannot be carried over.
- Essential union and non-exempt staff employees who are required to work on Winter Break days will be paid at time and a half and are not eligible for an equivalent day off
- Dining employees hired April 3, 2019 and beyond will receive straight time pay for the days identified as Winter Break.
Regular, part-time employees will be paid Winter Break pay consistent with their regular pay schedule.
The policy on Winter Break days scheduling and Winter Break pay may not be applicable to departments that operate on a six- or seven-day work schedule. You should consult your Department Head if you are employed in a unit with such shift assignments.
Staff: any benefits-eligible employee who has standard hours of 17.5 hours/week or more and is not otherwise covered by a collective bargaining agreement. Dining Services employees’ Winter Break days pay options are covered separately under the Dining Services CBA. Postdoctoral scholars’ paid time off practices are outlined in the postdoc handbook.
Related Links and Resources:
- Postdoctoral Scholars’ Handbook
- Faculty: Faculty should refer to the by-laws of their primary school affiliation for guidance.
This Winter Breaks policy is part of the HR Employee Policies and Procedures.
Disclaimer: Changes to this policy and the handbook in which it is maintained may be made at any time, at the sole discretion of the University and is not a contract. Employment by the University is at will and either the employee or the University may end the employment relationship at any time.